The Vancouver Bar Association is a non-profit organization serving 1,500-plus lawyers in the City of Vancouver and beyond.
Our mission is to:
- Advance and protect the interests of Vancouver lawyers;
- Foster harmonious relations among our members;
- Encourage a high standard of legal education, training and ethics;
- Uphold the honour and dignity of the profession of the law;
- Cooperate with the Law Society of British Columbia to further our mutual objectives;
- Circulate among our members information on all matters affecting the legal profession; and
- Print, publish, issue and circulate such papers, periodicals, magazines, books, circulars and other literary undertakings as may seem conducive to any of the above objectives.
Although we are always looking for new ways to fulfill our mandate, here are some of the ways the Vancouver Bar Association currently serves Vancouver lawyers:
- We speak at welcoming ceremonies for new appointments to the British Columbia Supreme Court and Court of Appeal;
- We work with downtown firms to formulate and administer the articling and summer student interview guidelines;
- We provide funding to many worthy law-related events, charities and non-profit organizations;
- We operate the Barristers’ Lounge at the Vancouver Law Courts;
- We publish The Advocate six times a year;
- We maintain strong relationships with the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society of British Columbia, and all levels of the judiciary in British Columbia;
- We host many of the biggest social events on the legal calendar including the Charity Dodgeball Tournament, BC Law Firm Ski Championships, Judges’ Luncheon, Devil’s Advocate Spring Social, Fall Craft Beer and Spirits Festival and our Annual General Meeting.